Thursday, May 12, 2011

To Coimbatore...

As we were leaving Goa, me & my friend were in a strange confusion where to head. All our plans were out of place and this is why I don't believe in planning. I believe time and destiny play their role. We had planned to visit a Temple in Kuki near Mangalore, then head to Coimbatore and Ooty.

Ultimately, it was decided that we join Khiru Bhai at Hubli. We left at night and were at his home at 2am perhaps. Fully exhausted. We were given a room. Once we were on the bed, we we
re out of the world. I woke up at about 9 am & was introduced to Khiru bhai's family. We had our breakfast- the Gujarati menu but the change was good.I was informed from home and frenz that it was Hanu-man ji's birthday. I needed to pay Him visit and offer a gift and seek blessings. I hate missing one's birthday ;) I got the opportunity to visit the old and famous temple of Hanu-man ji at Hubli , which never I had thought of. There was same temple of Murugan nearby Coimbatore, so Mangalore was cancelled. We had to board Bangalore Shatabdi Exp at 2:00 pm. It was 1 pm already. We had delicious and great varieties in lunch prepared by Mrs.Khiru & His H'nble mother. We were at the station and as usual my friend was perturbed with the fact that we didn't have prior reservations. But I am a frequent traveller and I am used to board trains even without a proper ticket ;) If I am supposed to board and reach a place, doesn't matter for me which train, flight or time it is. I just need to reach. But my theory implies to me or other weird people around ;). We had tickets and anyways the train had plenty of vacant seats. Khiru bhai waved bye ,as the train left.

The train reached on time at about 10 pm in Bangalore City. We were short on time. We had 10-15 minutes to board Mumbai-Coimbatore Exp standing on PF-3. We had got down at PF-8. We needed to reach PF-3 that too by crossing the tracks with our luggage and laptop. It was really painful. We did that. 5 minutes and that train would leave. My friend was not ready to board train without a ticket. I said ok..chill , let me do a SRK. I need to reach Coimbatore anyways. I ran and ran, even P.T.Usha would have applauded. My workout on treadmill was coming to use. But they say use your brains too. I forgot the fact that I was crossing the unmanned and open tracks , where trains were moving. I must say I took a risk something like Aamir Khan in Ghulam. I had no time. I was at the counter. And guess what it was a big-big line. I don't understand when India will get free from this queue system.(In Calcutta, I was astonished to learn the fact that there was a queue system even for going to a toilet)

A Kannada lady was sitting in the ticket counter. I went straight to the front. People started shouting. I simply said..."I don't understand your language, jitna gali bakna hai baklo" kindly co-operate..or else I will miss my train". That lady was quick to grasp. She asked where do you want to go..I said Coimbatore...She said your train is about to leave. go fast and cautiously cross the tracks, as she issued the ticket and smiled. That smile did wonders. While I was going through this, my dear friend kept me calling on whether he should get in or stay out of the train. I said..go in ...board in AC. I ran again... The engine whistled. I said ..please just more 2 minutes... I was on the platform running. Everyone thought what's wrong with this guy. He went running and he is back running. Train moved, my friend was at the door. Finally I got in.

My another theory: If you need a berth in AC coaches, attendants ko patao. Never say Hey..or You...ask him his name and call him by name. People like to be called by names....Give him a tip and that too will work, if you need extra pillows, blankets ;)

I quickly applied that and thankfully TTE was Telugu speaking person. Now was the time to speak Telugu. It worked. We were given berths FOC (Free of Cost). The good thing I found in Southern India, TTE"s never asked for their service charges unlike Northern India and I appreciate that. With all this, we forgot to have dinner and it was about 12am. I took energy drink which I bought from Goa .My friend had his puff of drink ( in the toilet ;) ) and I hate that. We kept on chatting ignoring that others were sleeping. We too slept......

Finally, we were in Coimbatore in morning.That lovely morning after a rain...it was pleasant. My friend believed taking a Hotel nearby station helps a lot whereas I always believe in knowing and enjoying a new place -move to center of a city. I have a bad habit of saying Yes....so we took Hotel nearby station. It was not upto the standards, but no options. We had to visit the Muruga
n Temple at Palani about 2 1/2 hrs drive from Coimbi..We had no time. We were ready in no time. My friend insisted to skip breakfast as we were visiting temple and our sto
mach's should be empty. What the heck, now has God directed to skip your food and be on fast. ...Jesus !!

We hired a cab. The cab was as old as its driver. We learnt on the way that the songs played in his car were old too. Not that I hate old classic songs. I needed something fresh. The only good thing,the driver too knew Telugu. We reached Palani. We were late courtesy the speed of the car. I insisted I drive the car, but that elderly driver was too possessive about his car ;) The temple is on the hill top. There are two ways either take 1000+ stairs or go on the mono-rail. Most of us would prefer the latter. We too opted that. But...... the line was so big....I said no yaar..I can't wait so long. Lets climb....We both had pots containing about 5 ltrs of milk for Abhishekam with other items. We thoug
ht it would be a cake-walk. Now what we saw shook us.

It was a 90 degree incline climb, Scorching heat and Sun with full shine, bare-footed....that too with pots..!! I said lets not back out...go ahead. We climbed and climbed. It was like climbing Mt.Everest. I am used to trekking and climbing on hills. My friend got screwed ;) But I believe it was God's support, we were honest in our commitment to be at His place. We did reach finally. But by then it was lunch-time for the Gods. Doors were closed. After a hour and half, doors opened and we finally managed to have a glimpse of the Lord. Prayers were offered. The lady who was guiding us in the temple was screwing us with Tamil. We only managed to read her finger movements & expressions. The last thing I managed to read after we paid her fee was - "You both are dedicated, Next time You come, I need a Saree and both come alongwith your wives". We laughed and as we left, I seeked her blessing. I believe - Duwa dava se jyada kaam karti hai...

Next, we planned to head Tirupur again a 2 hr drive. My friend had planned to buy some tees,vests and briefs. I was supposed to meet a friend of mine.....But we saw the car and smiled again. We were
in a bad shape, tired with foot burns, hunger and what not. But anything for God. My friend said, yar Goa mein we were on a high, that has come to level now and we laughed again. I was down with the heat and extreme conditions. Even the AC was not working like the driver. So, we were in Tirupur finally and then we headed to Coimbi..

As I say and believe : You cannot plan things, our journey was destined this way along with interesting sets of people and events. We enjoyed the stay before leaving to Bangalore. One thing I don't like in Tamilnadu is that hardly anything is written in English or Hindi. It can be hard times for new people/visitors. Not all, but most of them would avoid co-operating you there, if you spoke in Hindi. I am not discriminating or being unfair to Tamilians. I too experienced that and even my buddies had similar experiences during their visits.

Never mind, I can manage in any part of the world. If you are good and capable, language and such things are not a barrier. I really loved visiting Coimbatore and the time I spent there with lovely people....

No comments:

Post a Comment